Fr. Peter Keralum Knights of Columbus Council 2785 Charity, Unity and Fraternity
History of K of C Council 2785
November 14, 1937, one-hundred and three new, current, and
re-instated members of the Knights of Columbus from Harlingen, Rio
Hondo, San Benito, La Feria, Mercedes, Raymondville, and Santa Rosa
joined together in the institution of Fr. Peter Keralum
Council No. 2785.
Fr. Peter Keralum Council No. 2785 was named after Fr. Pierre Yves
Keralum OMI (1817-1872) he was a French-born Catholic missionary and
member of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. He served in
South Texas from 1853 to 1872, traveling long distances on horseback
to minister to Catholics living on isolated ranches along the Rio
Grande. He was also an architect who designed many buildings in the
area, including the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Brownsville,
Texas. His remains were originally interred in Mercedes, Texas
before being transferred to San Antonio, Texas.